Wilson's Phalarope

Saturday 7th November 2009
I managed to get to Slimbridge WWT just in time to see a Wilson's Phalarope on the Top New Piece; in less than ten minutes after I arrived it took to the air, landed briefly and then took off again flying quite high over the centre, going east. It could not be relocated in a check of the other hides; I'm glad I made it in time for this excellent county tick.
I had spent the morning at Ashleworth and Coombe Hill with Mark, where highlights were as follows: Ashleworth Ham - Five Snipe, c60 Fieldfares, c15 Redwings, c1000 Starlings, a Reed Bunting and 12 Pied Wagtails. Coombe Hill Meadows - Six Teal, eight Meadow Pipits, a Pied Wagtail, c300 Fieldfares and c40 Redwings. Water levels are very low at both sites, but good numbers of winter thrushes are now evident, with Fieldfares in particular very numerous.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gran Canaria

Cotswold Orchids and a Garden Hobby

Todd's Canada Goose