Spiders

Tuesday 30th September 2014
Pisaura mirabilis (Nursery Web Spider) - quite a few of these around at the moment
As I contemplate the repair estimate for my scope - an accumulation of wear and tear culminating in a fault on the focusing - my attention has turned of late to Spiders. My curiosity has been sparked by Collins Field Guide: Spiders - Britain and Northern Eurpoe, a recent birthday gift, and a desire to try and identify the local Araneae (a low-scoring scrabble word that). The author, Michael J. Roberts, isn't big on common names, but I've included here those used elsewhere. I must add, it is an excellent book. Anyway, here are a few pics from the garden and local environs.
Pisaura mirabilis (Nursery Web Spider)
Pardosa amentata (Spotted Wolf Spider) - several in the canal area but I haven't yet seen one in the garden
Meta segmentata (Autumn Spider), male (left) and female (right)
Meta segmentata (Autumn Spider), male
Salticus scenicus (Zebra Spider) - only around 6mm long
Zygiella x-notata (Silver-sided Sector Spider) - this one tends to hide in the corner of window frames
 I've also seen a few of these recently - Dark Bush-crickets, one in the garden and several around the canal-side vegetation:
Dark Bush-cricket
And a couple of local moths I've spotted, the first two in the garden, the third one near the canal:
Light Brown Apple Moth, Epiphyas postvittana - originally an Australian species - one or two in the garden recently
Beautiful Plume, Amblyptilia acanthadactyla, I've seen a couple of these in the garden too
Common Nettle-tap, Anthophila fabriciana, near the canal

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gran Canaria

Cotswold Orchids and a Garden Hobby

Todd's Canada Goose