New Year Crackers

Saturday 2nd January 2016
Grey Phalarope - almost a record shot!
Happy New Year everyone!
My New Year's birding got off to an excellent start on Saturday morning with a visit to WWT Slimbrdge. Two SCAUPS and two Egyptian Geese on the Rushy, and GREENLAND WHITE-FRONTED GEESE, LITTLE STINT, Ruffs and Peregrine on the Tack Piece were just the appetizer. Mike phoned just as I got to the Holden Tower at 9.35am to say James had found a GREY PHALAROPE on the Top New Piece, so it was straight to Zeiss Hide. By the time I made it round, the Phal had gone into hiding right underneath a tree in which a MERLIN was sat. The Merlin eventually flew off, but the Phal apparently stayed in hiding. Eventually it re-appeared but somehow it had sneaked to the other side of the scrape. I watched it for a while as it emerged into view several times and made the occasional flight. After dipping three previously in Glos, Grey Phalarope is a long-awaited addition to my county list. I finished off the morning with an un-ringed, fully-winged Ruddy Shelduck on South Lake.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gran Canaria

Cotswold Orchids and a Garden Hobby

Todd's Canada Goose