Signs of Spring

Sunday 12th - Monday 12th March 2017
Garganey, Ashleworth Ham, 18th March
At least three Garaganey turned up in the county last week, and after dipping at WWT Slimbridge in the morning, I stopped off at Ashleworth Ham on the way back from Kempley to check out this fine drake above. My first Sand Martins of the year, c80, were at Frampton Court Lake earlier. I had been to Kempley in the afternoon with Linda for our annual fix of Wild Daffodils around Kempley. I don't think I have ever seen them looking as good.
Wild Daffodils on the roadside near Kempley
Haind Park Wood
Along the canal locally, Sweet Violets have been coming into flower. The white form predominates here over the 'standard' purple form.
Sweet Violet, Hardwicke
Sweet Violet, white form
On 12th March, a second summer Mediterranean Gull was on South Lake, at WWT, acquiring its black summer hood.
Mediterranean Gull, WWT
A Black Swan was also at WWT on 12th March, near the centre, and I have seen presumably the same bird twice sine at Frampton and locally on the canal at Hardwicke. I wonder where it has originated from!
On Swan Lake at WWT, 12th March
Court Lake, Frampton, on 18th March
20th March on the canal at Hardwicke

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gran Canaria

Cotswold Orchids and a Garden Hobby

Todd's Canada Goose